Friday, November 11, 2016

Pine Manor Community Garden

A few weeks ago, we went to Pine Manor Community Garden in downtown Fort Myers area and it was quite an experience. Driving through the neighborhood in Lee High Acres before we got to the actual site was something else. Only being really exposed to the FGCU area, I did not think run down, poverty stricken areas were anywhere close to where I lived, but I was wrong. When we pulled up to Pine Manor, I immediately felt like we had just pulled into a gem in rock pile.

My overall impression of the challenges faced by the urban poor in Lee County was quite shocked. I know in class, Professor Mendes taught us about the idea of a food desert but I never imagined that one would be so close to home. This clearly relates to agricultural and land use issues because the fact that residents of this area are unable to get access to fresh food is astonishing. It really made me reflect and ponder on what exactly is the land being used for around us if people are having enough trouble as it is getting fresh foods. Thank goodness for Pine Manor and the efforts they do to fix that by having a community garden and cooking classes because without it, much of the community might suffer more than they already do.



The facilities were quite impressive and I was easily able to relate Pine Manor back to my life and even major. Chef Fraser actually donated much of the kitchen appliances that are used in the community kitchen, and he is my professor for a number of my classes. Often times Chef Fraser speaks on behalf of his community outreach and involvement and it really makes me think about how important it is to give back to those who don't have much. Pine Manor was a great eye opener to see all they offer to the community and I look forward to volunteering there potentially in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Hannah I'm glad you had that experience. We lived in Ft Myers back in the 80's and Lee High Acres wasn't as depressed as it is today. I'm happy to hear about Pine Manor and your Professor doing such good work to help them. Its sad to know poverty is right in our backyard but organizations and people can help if we all get together and share our resources. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete