Friday, September 9, 2016

FGCU Food Forest & Wet Walk

Last week when I had the opportunity to walk through the Food Forest, I did not truly comprehend what I would be seeing or encountering until I was physically in the forest. Impressed is an understatement, but that's what I was! Hearing that the area is completely self sustaining was quite interesting because especially in this modern day and age we expect things to be so advanced and needing the help of human interaction, but with plants like we saw, it's all on its own. I learned that it takes up to two years to grow your own pineapples, and while that is a long wait, it is something I want to pursue in my own backyard one day soon.

Once we moved on over to the FGCU Nature Trail where the Cypress Dome is located, the tone of the entire trip changed for myself. I was extremely nervous and anxious for what we would embark on and potentially see. I knew from past classmates that had taken colloquium that they all said "it's not that bad" and "don't worry". But I did nothing but worry and fret about the wet walk! However I can attest to my own emotions during the walk and I made it out alive! Honestly I worried for absolutely nothing and it really was not that bad!

Seeing the nature so up close and personal gave me a perspective that I had never been presented with. Once we were actually in the Cypress Dome, I felt myself start to calm down and relax in a new way. My mind became cleared and I felt fully present in the moment. Much like the nature deficit article we read in class, I felt the effects the nature had on my mind, body, and soul in that moment. Nature, no matter what it is, has this crazy effect on me where I am in my element mentally and it is amazing.

While going on these type of nature walks were definitely out of my normal, daily scheduled lifestyle, I felt at peace. Did I love it? Yes. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY.

No comments:

Post a Comment